I’ve been quite unwell lately. It started last saturday morning (For those not in the know, I’m a night shift nurse), I went to sleep from work and woke up at 11am with bad chills. So for the next 4 days I manage to do my night shifts with slight fever. I am really less creative when I’m sick, but that doesn’t stop me from doing something. Yesterday afternoon with 98.9 F temperature, I cleared my hotmail mailbox from old files and found this Q & A e-mail I got from my poet friend Benjamin Mosley(I met him at poets.com workshop, we lost contact when I stopped). I thought of answering the questions and share some more of my self with you.
1. FIRST NAME? Jesus, Jeques.
2. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE? My father has a story why he named me Jesus. He said he prayed a son for a youngest and promised I would be named Jesus when it is granted, it was and I got my name. But in highschool, I feel so uncomfortable with my name. This was the time when I was expelled from the seminary. I feel undeserving of my name, so I think of a neckname for my self. I first spelled it as “Jecks,” and eventually change the spelling to “Jeques.” I think I deserve a name that I would like people to be calling me now that I’m grown up and have the freedom to choose.
3. WHEN DID YOU LAST CRY? I cried just yesterday feeling so sick and remembering home. I’ve been living alone since I moved here in Chicago last year and I’m fine. But it’s different when you’re sick.
4. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING? Yes.
5. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCHMEAT? Porkchop, drumstick
6. KIDS? I’m the only kid in my apartment.
7. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON, WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU? Yes, I think I would. I’ve been spending my life alone with myself and I feel comfortable with my company. I’ve come to terms with myself already and made peace with the person within me.
8. DO YOU HAVE A JOURNAL? I write poetry. I used to keep scrapbooks that served as my journal when I was still in the Philippines and had the time. But now, my web nook has become my journal.
9. DO YOU USE SARCASM A LOT? When circumstances call for it.
10. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS? Yes.
11. WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP? It’s one of those things I wanted to try, but would rather not.
12. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CEREAL? Rice, I’m a Filipino, eh.
13. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF? No.
14. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM FLAVOR? Mango, but I don’t really crave for ice cream.
15. DO YOU THINK THAT YOU ARE STRONG? I am. In the sense that I’m able to rise above any situation that life throws on me. I’ve been through a lot, and I’m still standing.
16. SHOE SIZE? 6 and 1/2 to 7
17. RED OR PINK? Red.
18. WHAT IS YOUR LEAST FAVORITE THING ABOUT YOURSELF? I want to get things done to the point of over exhausting myself. Sometimes, I don’t know when to say stop.
19. WHOM DO YOU MISS THE MOST? My family back home, my mother.
20. DO YOU WANT EVERYONE TO SEND THIS BACK TO YOU? Yes. I want to find out how other people answer these questions.
21. WHAT COLOR PANTS AND SHOES ARE YOU WEARING? Khaki/white, Denim blue/white
23. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW? Greatest pop ballads
24. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE? darker shade of green
25. FAVORITE SMELL? the salty scent of the sea, early morning smoky scent of woods burning in the farm, freshly cut grass, ricefields the morning after rain. They remind me of childhood.
26. WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE? My mother.
27. THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE? The sincerity in their eyes.
28. DO YOU LIKE THE PERSON THAT SENT THIS TO YOU? Ben helped me a lot when I was starting to write poetry. He helped me polished some of my early works. I like him for the willing mentor that he is to me.
29. FAVORITE DRINK? Coke’s Zero(Calories), Orange Juice
30. FAVORITE SPORT? I’ve never been into sports. The closest to sports I love to do is long walks – I used to do regular early morning walks in the beach when I was still in the Philippines. And I miss that.
31. EYE COLOR? Brown.
32. HAT SIZE? Oh, I didn’t know they have sizes.
33. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS? No.
34. FAVORITE FOOD? Home cooked filipino foods.
35. SCARY MOVIE OR HAPPY ENDING? Happy endings, we’re running out of stories with happy endings in real life already, in fiction at least we should.
36. LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED AT THE MOVIES? I’ve never been to a movie theatre since I came here. The last movie I watch was Superman 4 in the Philippines at SM Mall of Asia.
37. WHAT COLOR SHIRT ARE YOU WEARING? Mostly whites.
38. WINTER OR SUMMER? Summer, but since I moved here, I think I like winter, too. (Make up your mind, Jeques!)
39. HUGS OR KISSES? Hugs then kisses, why choose if I could have them at the same time.
40. FAVORITE DESSERT? Fruits.
41. WHO IS MOST LIKELY TO RESPOND? Those that are not busy. Or maybe those who are sick and looking for something good to do like me at this moment.
42. WHO IS LEAST LIKELY TO RESPOND? Those that don’t know themselves much and would have stopped answering at number 3.
43. WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING? A Poet’s Guide to Poetry By: Mary Kinzie.
44. What’s ON YOUR MOUSE PAD? I don’t use one.
45. WHAT DID YOU WATCH ON TV LAST NIGHT? I stopped watching TV since I started painting.
46. FAVORITE SOUND? gentle seawaves in the beach, silence.
47. ROLLING STONES OR BEATLES? I didn’t really grew up listening to their music.
48. THE FURTHEST YOU’VE BEEN FROM HOME? Now, Chicago.
49. WHAT IS YOUR PRESENT OCCUPATION? I’m a Nurse.
50. WHERE WERE YOU BORN? The Philippines.
51. WHO SENT THIS TO YOU? My Poet friend, Benjamin Mosley.
You are invited to participate with me on this. Here’s how:
Copy this entirely and paste it into a new e-mail. Change all the answers so that they apply to you and then send this to a whole bunch of people including me.
Just give in and do it! The theory is that you will reveal little known things about yourself to people that you aren’t too afraid of knowing you better and that you will come to know them better as they respond. It is supposed to be fun, and most of the questions are easy to answer.